When thinking about improving the look of your smile, it is important to weigh out the pro and cons of each option. Porcelain veneers are one of the most natural looking restorations in cosmetic dentistry, while also providing durability and strength comparable to natural tooth enamel. The porcelain veneers are fingernail thin, shells that are directly bonded over damaged, misshapen or stained teeth and can last a lifetime if taken care of properly.
Advantages of porcelain veneers:
- They are stain-resistant to classic stains like coffee, tea, soda and smoke, so they won’t have any discoloration over time
- Porcelain veneers can improve multiple flaws such as stains, cracks, gaps or discoloring
- Porcelain produces natural looking results because the material mimics the light reflecting properties of the natural tooth
- The material is very durable, and the strength can be comparable to natural tooth enamel, also have a lifespan of 10-20 years, making them a great investment with proper maintenance
- Porcelain veneers produce fast and dramatic results, such as whiter or bolder teeth
- It is more conservative than a full crown, by persevering more of your natural tooth
- The shape, color and size are all customized just for you
Few disadvantages include:
- The shape or color cannot be alter once bonded to your tooth.
- If broken, the whole veneer has to be replaced.
- They can be quite pricey, costing around $1,000 per tooth
Overall, there are many more advantages than disadvantages when picking porcelain veneers. So if you are in the market to improve your smile, make an appointment with your dental professional to discuss a treatment plan to getting the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
To learn more about porcelain veneers, call Dr. David Musarra at Dental Associates of Hoboken at 201-795-2111. Also visit the website at www.hobokenpediatricdentistry.com.
Dr. David Musarra proudly accepts patients from Hoboken and all surrounding areas.