With Invisalign having become a much more popular treatment of choice by many over the recent years, it’s no surprise that more and more people want to know about it. In particular, what most are interested in are the dental problems Invisalign can fix.
Below are some of the main dental issues that Invisalign can effectively treat.
- Gapped teeth. Gaps in between teeth can occur for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, they’re caused by the abnormal continued growth of the jawbone. Other times, leaving missing teeth can cause the surrounding teeth to shift to adjust to the empty space, which creates gaps. Regardless of the cause, spacing issues or gaps in between teeth will all eventually lead to a variety of gum problems, as well as an increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Overbites happen when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth. Although genetics are the main cause for most overbite cases, it can sometimes also occur due to bad oral habits, or the over development of the bone supporting the teeth. Much like teeth gaps or spaces, overbites can eventually lead to gum problems if not addressed. Even worse, overbites add unnecessary stress on the lower teeth, as well as cause painful jaw and joint problems.
- The opposite of overbites, an underbite occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth. It can be caused by a variety of things, from undergrowth of the upper jaw, or overgrowth of the lower jaw – or both, in some cases – and it can also be caused by missing upper teeth. Having an underbite causes unnecessary tooth wear, in addition to causing pain and other issues in the jaw joints.
- Open bite. Open bites occur when some of the teeth can’t make physical contact with the opposite teeth. This can either be caused by genetics, or excessive thumb-sucking as a baby, toddler or child. Those with open bites often have a hard time chewing and some even experience pain. Open bites have also been proven to cause speech impairment, as well as increased risk of TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorders.
- Crowding of the teeth occurs when there’s just not enough room in the jaws for teeth to fit normally as they would. Crowding will only get worse the longer it is left untreated and will eventually result into severely crooked teeth, which causes various dental issues, such as plaque accumulation, tooth decay and an increased risk for gum disease.
- When both the upper and lower jaws are misaligned, that’s what you call a crossbite. This causes the upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, causing unnecessary additional wear on the teeth, gum disease and in worse cases, bone loss.
As you can see, from mild cases of gaps in teeth into much more complicated dental problems such as overbites and underbites, Invisalign is an effective dental treatment.
Contact Dental Associates of Hoboken today for more information on Invisalign and to schedule an appointment. Call 201-795-2111 or visit the website at www.dentalassociatesofhoboken.com.